In this episode we disuss our concerns and revelations with women's reproductive health.
Spring boarding from our 2019 episode about abortion, we are diving deeper into the conversation about women’s reproductive health, especially for WOC. If you’d like to listen to that episode we’ve linked it down below.
This episode does briefly describes harmful gynecological acts done to women of color. We also briefly mention abortion (not graphic).
This week we want to encourage all Unicorns to share their experience with the healthcare system, especially if it involves reproductive health. We believe by share and/or making space to share these experiences, we can raise awareness for the need of access to reproductive health care and normalize female body functions. In this episode you’ll hear the Unicorns discuss:
- How some people actually celebrate when a girl gets her period.
- How the “The Father of Gynecology” tortured WOC for the “advancements” of gynecological health and its impact on the community
- The correlation between puberty and sexuality
- Health Class vs. Sex Education
- The lack of representation of BIPOC in medical information
- The maternity mortality rate for BIPOC women
- Intersectionality between race, social class, age and how that affects your medical care
- How we still feel women’s bodies are a mystery
- The danger in viewing childbirth as routine
We end our show, as always with our Happy Place, hint* - If you’re a near sided Arachnophobic, this might not be the happy place for you.
Episode 19: Abortion, a WOC Tale:
More of the History of Gynecology:
Thanks to Josef Scott of Citizens of Tape City for our theme music and Dollipop Art for our podcast artwork - you can find her on instagram @dollipop.art.
We want to hear from you! If you have a question you'd like us to answer or a topic you'd like us to cover on the show, drop us a line at birac[email protected] or leave us a voicemail at (505) 585-1808.
Like us on facebook or follow us on instagram to join in on the discussion - we're @biracialunicorns. We're now on twitter as @biracialmagic so catch us there too.
If you'd like to support the show with some cash money visit us at https://www.buymeacoffee.com/biracialunicorn
Please review us wherever you get your podcasts or even better tell your friends to listen. :D
Find out more at https://biracialunicorns.pinecast.co
This podcast is powered by Pinecast.